Campaign launching guide
Congratulations, you are about to launch a responsible boycott campaign
Follow this guide step by step to write an efficient campaign in a zen state of mind !
The campaign's goal is not to harm nor punish, it has to act as an invitation to your campaign's target to head towards more ethical practices
In order for your boycott campaign to be effective, you will have to follow a few simple rules
State a precise and well explicited cause with clear and achievable demands. Write a benevolent, objective and neutral description that invites change
Do not hesitate to highlight the positive points and noted evolutions of the companies and explain why its evolution would be beneficial to all players
Adopt a speech that is open and that encourages dialogue and the proposal of concrete and measurable solutions by the targetted company/brand.
The 4 golden rules
- CounterfeitingBe careful if you decide to misuse a company's logo. Courts don't often condamn these practices but this still is a privileged mean by companies to use SLAPP lawsuits. In other words, the company will sue you, with little to no chance of success, but this will require you to face expenses that can be considerable to ensure your defense., you shall give up
– Do not use the company's logo on the picture
– Do not use word games or any form of misuse of the company's brand name or slogan
- DefamationComme n’importe quelle critique publique, l’appel au boycott se fera sur la base de reproches faites à une entreprise ou un organisme. Si ces reproches ne sont pas suffisamment fondés, vous vous exposerez à des poursuites en diffamation et vous pourrez être condamnés à réparer les torts causés. La prudence est donc de mise. La véracité des faits n’est pas le seul élément qui sera pris en compte en cas d’attaque en diffamation. Votre bonne foi sera également mise à l’épreuve. La liberté d’expression est à ce point fondamentale que la véracité absolue des faits que vous aurez avancés ne sera pas toujours nécessaire pour obtenir une relaxe des tribunaux. En revanche, votre bonne foi c’est à dire le sérieux avec lequel vous aurez argumenté vos reproches, la modération dont vous aurez fait preuve dans les termes choisis pour exprimer vos propos, seront cruciaux pour ne pas laisser la moindre opportunité de poursuites judiciaires. Un boycott réussi fera souvent appel à des éléments provoquant une forte émotion. Ne tombez pas dans la facilité par une surenchère d’attaques inconsidérées dans le but d'obtenir une indignation rapide sur les réseaux sociaux. Seule la force de vos arguments convaincra la communauté I-Boycott. « Laissez la place »pour que l’entreprise puisse trouver des solutions à ses pratiques non éthiques., you shall not commit
– Check your accusations
– Cite your information and investigation sources using the links provided for this purpose
– Target a specific brand
- DenigrationClose to defamation but constituted on different legal bases, legal action for denigration can be taken in case of thoughtless criticism of a product. The legal action for denigration is usually exercised in the context of economic activities between competitors but some rulings have been made towards journalists. These few cases show that courts can punish when the criticisms are largely excessive given/in contrast to the factual elements, you shall forgo
– Do not use derogatory, nor malicious nor aggressive words
– Be as objective as possible
- DiscriminationIn france for instance, discrimination is defined by the article 225-1 of the penal code. It is prohibited to discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, sex, and other criteria, you shall avoid
– Do not discriminate based on national origin, ethnicity, nation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or disability
The 3 criteria of choice
Choose a company or a brand name presented to the final consumer (general public)
Choose a company/brand name whose reasons that push to boycott are obvious and will mobilise the most amount of people
Choose a company/brand name whose exposed scandal can lead to clear and specific demands.
Our 2 writing tips
Be clear and concise. Also show objectivity and pragmatism. Try not to be emotionnal and/or vindictive
Choose your sources with care : favour sources coming from organisations, or NGOs which are are known for their independence and the quality of their research.
"Let us be benevolent"
The title and introduction
Highlight the company's name and introduce it briefly with a few figures if necessary (do not use their logo !)
Be clear and concise
Communicate the urgency of the situation and do not omit to emphasise the efforts made so far (if there are any) and to mention the company's values that you can often find on their « ethical policy » website page
The description and hashtag
Describe the scandal with objectivity : If there are any, add a video (royalty-free or with the author's consent) that shows the issue. ("On-the-gound" organisations are very good sources of informations)
Describe the demands : Insist on what you would like to see changed
Respect others : Do not harass, nor call for hate, nor threaten nor make up facts
Choose a hashtag or leave it by default #iboycott[BrandName].
The email address and the threshold
Choose a boycotter threshold coherent with the involved company's size and the capacity of the cause to mobilise the whole community
Make sure that the information sources you use are reliable and objective : the more they will be, the more people will be convinced of your boycott's call usefulness
Pay a particular attention to the picture you choose for your campaign : it will incarnate its visual imprint ! Use a 1000 x 500 px royalty-free picture
You can now publish your campaign on the platform and spread it as widely as possible through traditional media (press release), social media, your partners and any other medium to reach as many ethical consumer as possible!